Click here to download the full, up-to-date version including publications.
- I grew up with a strange name in a small village in Franconia.
- I studied Sinology and Comparative Literature at Freie Universität Berlin and majored in General Linguistics at Technische Universität Berlin.
- I spent a year in Beijing, where I studied at 北外 (Beijing Foreign Studies University) and worked at the Microsoft Research Center.
- I was headed to SOAS for a PhD in Language Documentation when Manfred Krifka from Humboldt-Universität asked me whether I’d like to document languages in Vanuatu. I said yes.
- While waiting for the grant decision on the documentation project, I worked with Malte Zimmermann at Potsdam University for 9 months on Chinese Information Structure.
- Between 2009 and 2013, I documented two endangered and previously undescribed languages of Vanuatu: Daakaka and Dalkalaen.
- After the documentation project, I wrote a grant proposal with Manfred Krifka. While waiting on the decision, I held positions at ZAS Berlin, working on embedding structures in Bislama, and at Humboldt-Universität, working on possession, serial verb constructions and modal semantics. In 2014, I had my son Leonhard and took 8 months of parental leave.
- During the winter semester of 2017/18 I was a guest professor at Universität des Saarlandes, working on information density in cross-linguistic comparison.
- Since March 2016, my project proposal with Manfred Krifka on TAM expressions in Melanesian languages has been funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and is hosted by Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
|2017-2018||Guest professor, SFB on Information Density and Linguistic Encoding, at Universität des Saarlandes|
|since 2016||Principal investigator, MelaTAMP project, funded by DFG|
|since 2014||Post-doctoral research fellow, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin|
|2013-2014||Post-doctoral research fellow, Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft (Center for general linguistics), Berlin. PB3: Research on clause-embedding predicates in Bislama.|
|2009-2013||Research assistant in the DoBeS project documenting the languages of West Ambrym, Vanuatu: Documentation of Daakaka and Dalkalaen|
|2008-2009||Research assistant, Special Research Unit 632, Universität Potsdam:
Investigations into information structure in Mandarin Chinese
Language expert, Microsoft Research Center Beijing (research on Text-to- Speech technology, phonology workshops for developers)
|2009-2012||Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Comparative Linguistics, Ph.D. thesis: A Grammar of Daakaka|
|2003-2008||Technische Universität Berlin, General Linguistics, M.A.; Freie Universität Berlin, Sinology (minor) and Comparative Linguistics (minor), M.A.|
|2005-2006||Beijing Foreign Studies University (北京外国语大学)|